Gluten & Dairy Free Falafel
w/ Dairy Free Tzatziki
My husband, being the gluten and dairy eater that he is, had his on a pita and with Tzatziki sauce, which is traditionally made with Greek yogurt, olive oil and other seasonings. I was curious about this interesting sounding sauce, so my husband guided me through making a dairy free version. Instead of the olive oil and yogurt, I used light mayonnaise. I know I could have used soy yogurt, but since I did not have any on hand, I improvised. Hope you enjoy!
Dairy Free Tzatziki Sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of light mayonnaise
- 1 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of cucumber minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons water
- Peel cucumber, cut it in half and using a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
- Place the cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze to remove as much of the liquid as possible.
- Chop the cucumber very finely.
- Crush and mince a clove of garlic. You may also use a teaspoon of garlic that is pre-minced.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes and use as desired.
If any of you out there have a different recipe, I would love to here about it! You can never have too many recipe variations in my opinion. Have a wonderful gluten and dairy free day!